Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Andy Lau

I don't understand why he's cradling a dead or dying person in every movie. Or why most Chinese epics are tragedies. I swear all of Andy's characters are probably at Dragon's inn, drinking wine and eating spicy buns. He wasn't even in that movie!

Man, would it really dilute a film if there's a happy ending with him? Oh yeah, Cat and Mouse. That character isn't at the inn he's creating elaborate tricks.

Watching these movies makes me feel lonely because there's always a desert scene or a scene that makes the body feel smaller. And there's sad music. But the person keeps going. How often do you think the energizer bunny meets a person? Not often.

It's like starting a poem with:

This isn't a drunk dial so don't hang up.
You're waiting for the phone to click and if it does, well you've tried. 1 E-prop.

If it doesn't then you keep talking:

Are you still there? I've thrown out so many batteries--

You get 2 E-props for this.



I think people feel more triumph if they set themselves up for defeat.

This post is all of the place, my bad, I just wanted to talk about Andy.

1 comment:

Jim K. said...

It's great...
you're sort of noticing the
archetypal usage of an actor.
I think "Semiotics" wold have some
kind of explanation for what
mythical character/moments those
were. It gets a little irky when
all the other directors make a point
out of that actor in that scene.

The Web is a strange...I think of
a lonely desert, but with people
as the grains of sand. Spooky.