Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I'm afraid of depth

Since I was a child I would fear the ocean. What it stood for. It scared me dumb. My nightmares about tsunamis are always vivid.

I was two-almost-three months premature.

My mother leaked the story to Chengyeng last weekend. And revealed a few facts I didn't know.
What was most important was she didn't know what to do when her water broke. Plus I was a few months early. So she waited a day or two to go to the hospital.

The doctors said it was a miracle that the pruned baby was alive.

Chengyeng said, "This explains a lot." And laughed. It was one of those awful laughs like when she went through my baby pictures. Which were followed with lines like "you looked like a kid that would,".

I guess I should fear intimacy too now.

I will bother her in her sleep now.

2 comments:

H A said...

*shakes keys in front of your face*

Who's a prune baby? Who's a prune baby? Yeah you are! Yeah you ARE!


I love hearing baby stories about my friends.

Jim K. said...

Nice piece. Great 'size'.
If you rotate
the last two "nows" to the
front of the line, the reading
changes from "repeat-accident" to
"rhetorical-flourish". I think you
intend the latter.